Cedrick Lui

The personal website of Cedrick Lui, used to promote and present his projects as well as act as a blog.

Banff - Up the Mountain

 I ducked into a mall that was an hour from opening and went into their washroom to wash, change into warmer clothes, and brush my teeth. [It was weird changing and brushing my teeth in a mall bathroom.  I felt very much like a drifter at this point]

  While looking for a breakfast joint, Dad called and I  updated him as best I could.  I'll call him again with set details.  I finally caved and now I'm in McDonalds with my eaten breakfast, writing and waiting for my camera battery to charge.  Hopefully the weather is better now. [I found a random wall plug at the McD's]


  Well the weather was slightly better. [Still pretty cold]

  I went back to the terminal and stashed my stuff behind the greyhound desk because there are no lockers in town or at the station.

  I got a phone card and some water from a convenient store and called mom then dad.  With my bus time deadline, I bussed out towards Sulpher mountain.

  The mountain was completely covered with clouds.  I found the trail and started up.  The sign said it was a 2h-5h hike, moderate -> strenuous.  I didn't recall such signs on my previous hikes.

  The trail itself was relatively clean and a bit gravelly.  It was basically a whole bunch of switchbacks all the way up the mountain face [switchbacks are those sharp U turns that makes you go back and forth slowly up the face].  Also it crossed under the Banff gondola (cable car) for much of it.

  I realized on my way up that this was my 3rd mountain in one week.  The path was tedious and leisurely.  I rarely had to stop at all for the first half.  The view was of course bright fog, so I didn't take a lot of pictures.  At one point I saw a side trail leading to a cool waterfall and view.

  The trail suddenly got steeper a bit before or after the half way point, but it was still very managable.
  At about an hour and a half.   I saw saw some french hikers going down.  Apparently I was only 10 mins away.  This home stretch was very muddy for some reason.  I saw a couple coming down when I was on the last switchback, and he said the peak might be closed from fog.

  I finished in about an hour and 40 mins.  This surprised me because I didn't feel I was going all that fast.  It must have been my lack of breaks.

  The clouds were just as thick at the top.  There was a little gift shop so I bought some mineral salts from the mountain (there are natural hot springs at the base of the gondola) for Nita and Colette.

Background images by C. H. Kim. All images are © Cedrick Lui unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.